PICTURES FROM BOONEVILLE

I have posted a few pictures from Porter's Memorial Service that was held July 12, 2008 at Booneville, CA under the post: "Rest in peace Porter Willis"

http://porterawillispw.blogspot.com/2008/07/rest-in-peace-porter-willis-we-love-you.html


Wednesday, August 13, 2008

Porter Willis - mystery

Hello,

My name is Elina (Derby) Tilson. I live in Clatskanie, Oregon. First off, let me give you my condolences on your loss. From what I have heard and read, Porter was one heck of a guy! I don't think I ever got to meet him but I'm sure I would've liked him. May you all hold his memory close.

In a 'strange' way Porter's death has helped me solve a mystery. In 1977 my father, Larry Derby, bought a 2 year old filly for 200 dollars from local horseman Jerry Schultz. The story my dad told me was that the filly was traded or sold to Jerry from Porter or Porter jr. She was supposed to be out of a 1/2 quarter 1/2 mustang mare and Porter's high profile stud. Well, I was just 7 years old at the time so of course I never retained much of the story and never pressed for any bloodline details before Jerry and Georgeanne moved to Arizona. My dad and I trained that filly ( our first one together ) and she went on to become my best friend and the best horse I ever had the pleasure to straddle. Her name was Annabelle but I always called her Annie or Annie-oats. She passed away last fall at the ripe old age of 32. Annie was a sorrel with flaxen mane and tale, 3 white socks and a broken blaze.

As an adult, I have always wondered what her bloodlines were so I could try to find another to start with similar traits and disposition. When I read Porter's obituary I actually cried a little, both for your loss and for the names of the horses listed in the obituary. I hope that doesn't sound strange to you. I cannot begin to tell you what Annie meant to me. Lord knows that during my turbulent teenage years she was my one 'constant' in a sea of difficulties. She was the most honest horse I've ever known, and the best 'shrink' money could buy. She was a cow chasin' speed demon!!! I could round up the whole herd with just her and no-one could touch her in a match race. In fact, I couldn't get any taker's in a match race at 1/4 mile or 1 1/2 miles! She could run all day and barefoot to boot. Never lame a day in her life and never shod! Just an amazing horse and I owe it all to Porter's savvy in horses.

Do you know which stallion Porter had here in Clatskanie in 1974/75? Or any idea about the dam? I would be so thrilled to know. I wish I could have told Porter myself how much I enjoyed that 200 dollar horse. I'm sure he would have been pleased. Sincerely, Elina

1 comment:

cowhorse7 said...

Thanks so much for your post ! It is exactly what I hoped for when we started this.

I would love to add a picture of your Annie to your story. If you will email one to me at "cowhorse777@netscape.com" I will post it for you.

I'm sure that your story will jog some memories and one of the boys will have an idea which stallion it might have been. There were four all together; Drifty Mc, Red Log, Driftn Sand, and Windy Wood.